Richard J. Meadows Scholarship Program
TGBA supports the Richard J. Meadows Memorial Scholarship program which honors the memory of Dick Meadows by recognizing the qualities of dedication, determination, scholarship and achievement that he so courageously demonstrated throughout his lifetime. This program is designed to provide one-time scholarship grants annually for tuition and books for the pursuit of academic advancement or vocational enhancement. The number and amounts of awards, as well as the award recipients, are determined by a Scholarship Committee with the approval of the Chapter President and the Honorary Chairman of the Scholarship Committee.
The Richard J. Meadows Scholarship Program is funded by the Richard J. Meadows Scholarship Fund, a separate account that derives its moneys through voluntary contributions from individual supporters, interested business and corporate contributors. Contributions to the fund are deductible for income tax purposes IAW IRC Sec 170 (c)(3). TGBA is exempt from federal income tax (as a non-profit corporation) under IRC Code Section 501 (c)(19).
Applicants for award of the Richard J. Meadows Memorial Scholarship must be:
A Chapter LX, Special Forces Association (SFA) member in good standing, family or dependent of a member, or member of the immediate family of a deceased member who was in good standing at the time of death, or an individual currently assigned to HQ, USSOCOM, HQ, SOCCENT, or HQ, CENTCOM who is otherwise eligible for general membership* in the SFA, or a family member or dependent of such an individual, and have been accepted by, or already attending, an accredited college, university, or vocational institute, to include post-graduate students. Exceptions may be made for grandchildren of a member in good standing. Personnel applying or acting as a sponsor of an applicant on the basis of membership in Chapter LX must have been a member for a period of at least 13 months to be eligible. This rule is waived if one of the following applies:
1. The individual has been a current member in good standing of the Special Forces Association, in another chapter, and has transferred to Chapter LX.
2. The individual is an active duty SF Soldier stationed at MacDill AFB and is assigned to USSOCOM, USCENTCOM, or SOCCENT and would normally qualify as a Chapter LX General member.*
*General membership may be granted to any member or former member of the U.S. Army Special Forces, to include the U.S. Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve, who has been legally awarded a Special Forces prefix, suffix, or MOS; and, if discharged, has received an Honorable Discharge. Service with the 1st SSF, OSS, and UNPIK-8240 of Korea also is recognized for general membership.
PREVIOUS AWARD WINNERS
2020: Megan Corrigan, Jessica Kirk, Julianne Lee
2019: Jessica Hanley, Megan Kimsey, Rebecca King, SFC Daniel McGarrah, Carmen Riggs
2018: Mallory Bilyeu, Claire Eberhart, Caleb Keoho, Tessa Monroe, Harry Woodmansee IV
2017: Anastasia Cale, Kylie Fedkow, Jordan Reed
2016: Rachel Gearhart, Samantha King, Collin Rock
2015: Bailey Fowler, Katheryn Kimsey, Sarah Weiss
2014: Marley Hayes, Michael Kennedy, Matthew Tuschen
2013: Justin Aflaque, Joseph Mulholland, Kaileigh Rock, Ann Witt
2012: Jeannine Davis, Kevin Longhany, Michael Wise
2011: Alexandra Davis, Lara Mella-Jansen, Rachel Wilson, Pamela Gilmore, Morgan Tuschen, Austin Wittman
2010: Amanda Brown, Lauren Eberhart, Cameron King
2009: Michael Tenuta, Jordan King, Tyler Wittman
2008: Linnea Eberhart, Torend Ebner, Jr., Nick Meginnis, Maureen Mulholland, Adam Thacker, James Toth
2007: Catherine Cavin, Stacy Hines, Brittney Jenkins, Hunter Rutland, Meredith Meyer
2006: Michelle Zuniga, Thomas Deacy
2005: Amanda Schwalm, Carson Fedkow, Javier Kennedy
2004: Arlene Oliva, Marina Muzichenko-Reed, Carolyn Smith
2003: Heather Louise Wittman
2002: Alexandra Brasher, Allison Ryan
2001: Jessaca Townsend, Steven Yevich
2000: Jacelyn Deacy, Eric Townsend
1999: Erika Oakley Rea, MaeLee Rich
1998: Jessica Pelaez, Vivian Ryan
1997: Kristen L. Wiegner, Brian B. Zilka
1996: Robert A. Irzyk
Applicants must, not later than July 1st of each year, submit the following in hard copy and email:
a. A personal letter stating his/her educational/vocational career plans and aspirations; as well as the planned use of the funds received.
b. Their most recent official transcript, SAT score, and/or other evidence of academic or vocational aptitude.
c. A reference letter from a teacher, counselor, or other school official.
d. A summary of extracurricular activities, non-academic achievements, and hobbies.
e. A copy of acceptance from the institute of higher learning or vocational/technical institute, and any current scholarship grants. f. An essay that addresses:
- Those values that they feel Richard J. Meadows possessed and the ethics to which he subscribed.
- Which of his values and ethics they feel is important in their planning of personal and career goals.
- How Chapter LX will benefit if they are selected as a R.J.M. Scholarship Award winner.
1. All applicants must submit complete packages both by e-mail and U.S. mail. The only exception to this would be the applicant’s most recent transcripts (grades) which may come from a third party. All documents must be received by July 1st including the transcripts.
2. All submissions must include a contact phone, e-mail address and home address of the applicant and the sponsor of the applicant.
3. The applicant’s minimum documented unweighted GPA must be 3.00 or higher to apply.
4. Chapter LX Honorary members may apply for the scholarship award and can sponsor a family member for a scholarship award.
5. For a Chapter LX member to apply for the scholarship himself, or act as a sponsor for an applicant, he must have been a Chapter LX member for a minimum of 13 months. This rule is does not apply under certain circumstances as described under ELIGIBILITY, above.
All documents created by applicants must be in Microsoft Word. Mail one copy and email one copy to the addresses below.
Scholarship Committee Chairman 2506 Oak Landing Drive Brandon, FL 33511 E-Mail: email@example.com